Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Bat Boy Pleads His Sabbatical Plan



“So, please tell me Mr. Boy exactly how your sabbatical plan aligns with the UT Strategic Plan?”

“Well, first let me thank you for asking. My basic plan is to hang around inside the darkest steeples and abandoned belfries of selected medieval Gothic churches along the Baroque Crescent of Western and Southern Europe. As my proposal explains, a “steeple” is a tall tower surmounted by a spire. Here, let me make one with my hands ... see ? By the way, could you please dim down that light?

“Let me first write a note to myself here ... and suggest, little Nietzsche-man, that you contemplate long and hard while hanging aloft in Europe just how much cleaner, more orderly, safe and secure World might be without all those dusty old steeples, belfries and Gothic churches taking up valuable space. Consider all the profits that might be generated by dictating alternative uses for their now underutilized sites: malls and dog parks and such. Begin thinking outside the steeple, Mr. Boy! Ever hear of Andrew Carnegie? “A rising tide will indeed lift all boats!” Read your Ayn Rand, too! Science, technology, engineering, math, medicine – together with a healthy dose of discipline -- can give you all the vision and the tools you will ever need to build a bolder, brighter future on this planet for both elites and little people!

“I don’t want a brighter future. I’m a bat.”

1 comment:

--Students for Real Student Centeredness-- said...

Hilarious!

Many thanks for the levity in these dark and brooding times ;-)