Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Biosphere 3. 5-day update Recap of the first five days within the "No Go Zone": I first entered the dome with significant trepidation on Day 1, Saturday December 23rd. Amazingly, the Forbidden Zone on Day 1 was uneventful. Snyder Memorial was heated throughout, as was my office. I got a lot done. Day 2, a Sunday, was similarly like any old Sunday on the Main Campus except that there was significant snowfall and no traffic. There was a portable generator attached to a hole in the ground operating in the parking lot. Its purpose was and remains unknown. Day 3, a Christmas Monday, promised to be the biggest test of the "New Winter Break Closed Campus" experiment. I arrived at 6 a.m. to the parking lot behind Snyder. The portable generator was still fired up and belching smoke from its exhaust pipe. Snow was about 4 inches deep everywhere. I drive a Jeep Wrangler so deep snow was no deterrent to parking. I entered Snyder with my key card. The thermostat on the wall in the hall read 72.4 degrees. I worked the entire day in the office -- and accomplished a lot. No one else was in the building Out my window during the day I could see two signs of life: two small golf cart sized vehicles were robotically pushing snow around and clearing sidewalks in Centennial Mall. More surprisingly, I saw one of those falcons that live in the clock tower from March through October flying around. I thought they went south for the winter? Apparently not. Tuesday, Day 4, was about the same as Monday -- except that around 11 a.m., my colleague Dr. Neil Reid arrived to his office. Our office lights and desk computers worked fine, so we both accomplished a lot. Dr. "C" emailed to ask if our Geography labs in the Snyder Building were accessible even though the campus was in the midst of the unprecedented, experimental New Winter Break lockdown. I told him that the Snyder Building and its labs seemed 100% accessible for faculty and student research purposes. Today is Wednesday, December 27th. I arrived a 7 a.m. The portable generator in the parking lot was shut off. Perhaps it had run out of gas. I entered Snyder and the temperature in the Building was -- 72.4 degrees! Hooray! I expect to see Dr. Reid again today, as some of our diligent SISS research assistants working on the GISAG Lab computers. I'm sure it will be another productive day in Snyder for the GEPL and SISS faculty and students who risk the ban and want to get some work done. Stay tuned!

No comments: